St Joseph`s Abbey is one of the County`s finest historic conversions, a pleasant stroll along Church Street to the village. It is described as an `Oasis of calm between the village and the Downs`. Inspirationally converted in 2002-4 by the award winning Surrey company Michael Wilson Restorations.
- Beautifully presented and spacious three bedroom home arranged over three floors
- Floor area of 1410.2 sq ft (131 sq m) with magnificent views of the South Downs
- Drawing/Dining room with stunning views and feature fireplace
- Private roof terrace off Kitchen, enjoying spectacular views
- Host of special features; delicately leaded windows mullioned in oak, ornately carved fireplaces
- Use of maintained 5-acre grounds with wonderful views
- Residents Hard Tennis Court
- Gas heating by radiators
- Gated complex. Single garage and additional allocated parking
- Superb setting about 350 yards from the village, with the South Downs at the end of the lane
- Our clients are able to offer a no-chain sale
- Council Tax Band F
- Share of Freehold
The Former Abbey, Gardens & Grounds
Originally a rectory; later a private house and finally a convent. The older buildings date back to 1871-2 when the house was a rectory for the Rev George Faithfull. In Gothic style, materials were re-used from the 1621 Rectory which was demolished at this time. Alterations were made by a tenant (Mr Bethel) in 1911 and a further tenant (Colonel Ravenscroft) made further additions including a Billiard room & Ballroom of 1930. Guest suites were added by John Leonard Denman and in the 1950s the house became a Dominican Convent and boarding school. The six Grade II Listed Abbey properties blend together differing architectural styles, all inspirationally converted in 2002-4 by the award-winning Surrey company Michael Wilson Restorations of Cranleigh.
St Joseph`s Abbey & Mews won prestigious garden awards from ‘What House` and Evening Standard for the beautiful 5 acre parkland grounds that wrap around the buildings to the east and south. Set out in traditional English country house style, broad sweeping lawns and majestic trees frame the beautiful buildings, with a tranquil lily pond, wisteria clad Sussex flint walls and views to the Downs. There are less formal grassy margins, a pond and fountain. Lawns beyond the path and ha-ha probably hosted croquet matches in the 1930`s. The Abbey has its own wrought iron electric gates from Greyfriars Lane, the subtly floodlit main concourse creating a magnificent entrance. This is one of the County`s finest historic conversions, a pleasant stroll along Church Street to the village.
Communal areas are maintained within the service agreement, paid by each of the St Joseph`s shared freeholders (The Freehold is owned by the company in which the Residents are Shareholders).
Annual charges cover building repairs (last done in 2020), periodic external decoration. Also included is buildings & Public Liability insurance.
The Parham Penthouse Suite is a particularly fine home arranged over 3 floors with impressive entrance to the ground floor, cloakroom, stairs rising to first floor and 2nd floor with 2 double bedrooms, main bathroom suite, separate utility room. Main bedroom with fireplace and having en-suite shower room, fabulous Drawing/Dining Room with ornately carved fireplace, opening through to Kitchen again enjoying views with spiral staircase leading up to the roof terrace, enjoying fabulous views making it ideal for relaxing, possibly reading a book or maybe entertaining a few friends with a Gin & Tonic or two. The residents have full use of the magnificent grounds and private tennis court.
The Abbey and Mews garages are approached through the arch, just inside the main entrance gates and match the buildings, in brick and tile construction. The garage courtyard has its own residents car wash-down facilities. Lighting and a cloakroom. Single garage with loft storage, lighting and power.
Allocated parking space for The Parham Penthouse Apartment is in the bay, just off the drive. Fob/keypad controlled electric wrought iron gates from Greyfriars Lane.
Storrington is a thriving West Sussex village, set against the stunning backdrop of the South Downs National Park. The village High Street centre is a 350m stroll along historic Church Street, handy for day-to-day shopping. There are traditional local shops, bank, coffee shops and restaurants/takeaways. Community amenities include the Post Office, Library and The Glebe Health centre.
A Waitrose store (John Lewis collection point) and Costa is in Old Mill Square and there`s a local 6am - 10pm opening Tesco Express & petrol station. Leisure pursuits include gliding at Parham Airfield, tennis & squash clubs, golf (The West Sussex) and Polo at Midhurst. Schools include Dorset House, Windlesham House School, Lancing College, Christ`s Hospital and Hurstpierpoint. The Weald School and Steyning Grammar both have Ofsted Outstanding ratings.
Glorious Goodwood hosts horse racing as well as the Festival of Speed & Revival motorsport events and there is sailing from Chichester & Littlehampton harbours.
Chichester, Guildford, Horsham, & Brighton all feature the big High Street shopping names as well as providing theatre, cultural and entertainment events.
Please note we have not tested any apparatus, fixtures, fittings, or services. Interested parties must undertake their own investigation into the working order of these items. All measurements are approximate and photographs provided for guidance only.