Horsham is a commuter town full of history, serving London, Gatwick Airport and the South East Coast. The town is 31 miles from London and 18.5 miles from Brighton and 26 miles.
In the commercial centre of Horsham is an open pedestrianised square known as the Carfax. This area contains the Town's Memorial of the two world wars, a substantial, well used bandstand and is the venue for Saturday and Thursday markets. On the northwest side of the Carfax is Swan Walk shopping centre. Swan Walk takes its name from the Swan Inn that once stood where the pedestrian area now enters West Street, the old name being honoured by the bronze swan statues to the back of the mall and a mosaic in the centre.
Horsham benefits from a free Museum, which has local history objects displayed in twenty-six galleries, The Capitol Theatre, as well the boutique style Everyman cinema which opened in 2019.
To the north is Horsham Park, the remnant of what was formerly the Hurst Park Estate. The park has football pitches, a wildlife pond and tennis courts. Leisure facilities, including a swimming complex and a gymnastic centre, have been built on land around the park. Horsham Park is host to many spectacular community events throughout the year, including Enchanted Horsham, an illuminated summer wonderland for all ages.
Horsham is a market town full of history, formerly trading in cattle, sheep and corn, its prosperity was built on industries that included brewing, brickmaking, iron-smelting and printing.
As Horsham has developed over many years, it now incorporates smaller suburbs, including:
An substantial area of Horsham named after a feeder stream of the River Arun. It consists of residential housing, the majority of which is of late 20th century origin. The areas, Holbrook House was previously the home of Sir William Vesey-Fitzgerald, Governor of Bombay and M.P. for Horsham (1852–1875).
This hamlet dates back to the late 18th century, when a small number of houses were in existence, with an inn opening in the early part of the 19th century. A station opened in the area in 1907, originally called Rusper Road Crossing halt, but later renamed Littlehaven. It is on the Arun Valley Line to London Bridge, via Redhill, making it ideal for commuters.
Originally used as a label to describe the northern part of the parish of Horsham (compared to Southwater to describe that part south of the River Arun), this area was developed as a district in the latter part of the 20th century. Now served with pubs, schools, shops and other amenities.
Roffey is north east of Horsham town centre and as a hamlet dates back to at least the 13th century, originally known as 'Roughey' it was made up of a few farmhouses and cottages. The area now has plenty of housing, community club, pubs, children’s centre and shops to facilitate the residents.
Tower Hill is a hamlet that lies one mile south from Horsham on a ridge of land containing a sandstone known as Horsham Stone rising above the town. A quarry existed here from 1830 to 1876. Tower Hill consists of housing dating from medieval to late 20th century. It has a public house called the Boar's Head.
An area of late 19th and early 20th centuries development on land west of the London Road at North Parade. It consists chiefly of semi-detached houses. Until the mid-20th century it was known as "The Common", after a piece of common land that survived enclosure in Trafalgar Road for many years.
Horsham has a wonderful selection of both Primary and Secondary schools, many of which receive fantastic OFSTED results.